Thursday, April 13, 2006

The Mass of Vatican II

A friend has sent me a link to an article about the Roman Catholic mass, by a Father Joseph Fessio. It's very interesting, not least because it discusses what the Second Vatican Council did and did not say about recommended changes to the mass. But I also find myself agreeing with many of Fr. Fessio's points about what would constitute fruitful and active worship. Did you know that Vatican II urged the use of Gregorian chant at all masses, and that this form of chanting is thought to be close to the manner in which the Psalms were originally sung in Hebrew? I don't know why Gregorian chant has dropped away.

There are many other worthwhile topics in the article, and I imagine it can encourage reflection even for non-Catholics on what constitutes good worship.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elliot said...

Very interesting!

April 21, 2006 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home